9 large dried chiles (3 different varieties such as Guajillo, Passilla, New Mexico, Ancho, California- 3 each)
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Snip off the tops and bottoms of the chiles with a pair of scissors. Cut the chiles open and remove all the seeds and ribs.
- Place the all of the chiles and the cumin seeds on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes (you will begin to smell the chiles)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool (the chiles will crisp up as they cool)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or coffee grider used for spices and process into a fine powder.
Sometimes it is easier to do the blender processing in batches. Crumble the chiles before processing.